Garbage and Recycling
The City of Salix contracts with CHN Garbage Services for garbage collection. Garbage is picked up early Monday mornings (if a holiday falls on a Monday, garbage will be picked up the following day).
- Please remove cans from the street once garbage is picked up.
- Please leave plenty of room around garbage cans so that the automatic arms on the garbage truck can clasp the can.
- Please make sure all trash is put in bags first. In the event of high winds, this will prevent garbage from blowing into the streets or neighbor’s yards.
- Please make sure all garbage is in the can provided. Drivers are are asked not to get out of the truck to pick up any extra trash outside of cans.
- If your garbage can gets cracked or wheels break off, please call Salix Maintenance at 712-490-6734 to have the can repaired or replaced.
The City of Salix contracts with Gill Hauling for recycling collection. Small green recycling bins are provided free to each resident. If you would like a larger roll cart bin, you may purchase one direclty from Gill Hauling by calling 402-404-3035.
KEEP IT SIMPLE. WHEN IN DOUBT, LEAVE IT OUT!
We know when it comes to recycling, there are a lot of things that are "recycable". However, as part of the single-stream recycling program with the City of Salix, only plastic, cardboard, paper, aluminum and tin are accepted.
- ALUMINUM & TIN: Acceptable items include; fruit and vegetable cans, metal lids from glass jars and bottles, pet food cans, coffee cans. All items must be rinsed.
- PLASTIC: Acceptable items include; milk jugs, drink bottles, detergent bottles, and food containers. All items must be rinsed.
- CARDBOARD & PAPER PRODUCTS: Acceptable items include; newspaper, magazines, office/computer paper, junk mail, brown paper sacks, wrapping paper, corrugated cardboard, toy boxes, waxed food cartons, pop and beer containers, detergent boxes. Boxes must be emptied and broken down flat.
NO GLASS, PLASTIC BAGS, PLASTIC STRAWS, STYROFOAM, YARD WASTE OR ANY OTHER MATERIAL IS ACCEPTED AS PART OF SINGLE-STREAM RECYCLING.